June 30, 2003

Live Chat Support at Earthlink: Weakening Customer Relationships

All I was trying to do was find out how much I owed them for web hosting. Sounds simple. Can I give you some money now? Really. That's all I wanted to do. Unable to login with either my FTP password or the Control password I set up long ago OR either of our social security numbers, I resorted to Earthlink's Live Chat feature.

It was my last resort. Make sure it's your last resort too.

Here is the transcript of my "mis-conversation" with the Great and Powerful Oz at Earthlink. Mind you, every time I had to wait for him/her/it to answer, it took two minutes or more. By the end, you'll see, I got kind of punchy. ;-)



Please wait for a site operator to respond. While you are waiting, please feel free to begin typing your issue in the box below. Try to be as descriptive as possible. Once an operator responds, click SEND to transmit what you have typed.

'VamsiV' Thank you for contacting EarthLink LiveChat. How can I help you today?

ewriter@bellsouth.net: i was wondering if you could tell me the current amount I owe on my bill--also what is my password?

VamsiV: Sure, I can give you this information.

VamsiV: For account security, could you please verify the secret word/pin number on the account?

ewriter@bellsouth.net: either XXXX or XXXXXX?
ewriter@bellsouth.net: that's what we usually use...
ewriter@bellsouth.net: we don't have email through you--just web hosting.

VamsiV: I am sorry, the information that you gave does not match with that on our records.

ewriter@bellsouth.net: well, where would I FIND my pin? Do you mean our FTP password??
ewriter@bellsouth.net: I can give you that.

VamsiV: I see that the hint for the secret word is SSN, could you please give me that for verification.
ewriter@bellsouth.net: Either XXXXXXXXX or XXXXXXXXX

[NOTE: Decades Pass—Jenna is now in college…]

ewriter@bellsouth.net: hello?

VamsiV: Please hold on for a moment.

VamsiV: Thank you for being on hold.

VamsiV: The verification that you have given matches that we have on our record.
VamsiV: I found that there is amount of $45.75 due on your account.

ewriter@bellsouth.net: okay--when is it due?
ewriter@bellsouth.net: and is this my correct account number: 0000-00XXXXXXX ?

VamsiV: The account is PastDue, you need to pay the amount so that the account is not Inactive.

ewriter@bellsouth.net: can i do this through you?

VamsiV: Your account number is XXXXX.
VamsiV: I found that you are paying by check.

ewriter@bellsouth.net: I have a payment of $46 scheduled for 7/7 through my online bank account... is that too late?
ewriter@bellsouth.net: or should I pay somewhere online at earthlink--and if so what email and password do I use since I don't have an earthlink email.

VamsiV: I am sorry that there is no online payment service.

ewriter@bellsouth.net: SO WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST? can you note that payment with suntrust is scheduled for 7/7?

VamsiV: It is okay, you can send the payment by that date.

ewriter@bellsouth.net: okay, thanks--pls make sure our site stays up. we have some hits coming. THANKS!

VamsiV: Is there anything else that I can help you with?

ewriter@bellsouth.net: yes, how do I log in to the biz control panel--do I use gesproductions.com and my SS? It says my password is wrong, but I haven't tried the SS number yet.

VamsiV: You have to use the password not your SSN.

ewriter@bellsouth.net: what's my password?
ewriter@bellsouth.net: my ftp password?

VamsiV: Please hold on while I give you the information.

ewriter@bellsouth.net: also, can you please verify that this is the account number my check should reference: XXXXX
ewriter@bellsouth.net: thank you

VamsiV: The Password for your account is b92rw7x9 [NOTE: I changed the numbers for security, but the syntax is the same—you get the picture.]

ewriter@bellsouth.net: well, i never would have guessed that one.

VamsiV: You have to use gesproductions.com in the UserId or Domain field.

VamsiV:

ewriter@bellsouth.net: Okay. And is my account number correct? Hey, does anyone ever try to make you guys laugh? You know, like knock-knock, who's there, that kind of thing? Or do you have to pick off a menu of responses?

ewriter@bellsouth.net: I mean it seems like someone should brighten your day over there.

VamsiV: Is there anything else that I can help you with?

ewriter@bellsouth.net: IS MY ACCOUNT NUMBER RIGHT? Is this the one I should reference on my check: XXXXX?

VamsiV: Yes the account number is correct.

ewriter@bellsouth.net: okay, thanks. you can go help some other confused user now.

VamsiV: You're welcome and thank you for using EarthLink LiveChat. Should you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Your LiveChat session has ended. Once you close this window a survey will appear. Please take a few moments to fill this out & let us know how we are doing. Your feedback is very important to us.

[NOTE: the survey never appeared.]