January 11, 2003

life without a net

So how was it not to blog for a week?

Wierd. Really strange.

The wierd part wasn't so much the not blogging, but not blogging physically.

I had no dial up access numbers, except for the Atlanta number, which would have been long distance, and with a 35-percent telephone surcharge at the hotel, no thanks.

At the beginning of our vacation, I thought about blogging all the time. The wanting to blog was overwhelming. I was forever blogging in my head. Wondering if I could simply telepath my posts to RageBoy, give him something for his blog for crying out loud. I actually tried a couple of times, but I think my wires got crossed and I ended up giving Marek a wedgie.

Sorry MJ.

So instead I did the natural next-best thing. Inner blogging.

That's when you go through all the steps of actual blogging, except you do it inside of your head.

In retrospect, I find this inner blogging quite magnificent. I'm not sure what to make of it. This posting and publishing in my head. Editing even. Linking too.

How did it work exactly? For example, there was this sign for Stavros Pizza in Leesburg. I immediately popped up the blogger window in my mind, I cropped and uploaded the sign from Stavros Pizza, plugged the img src code into my post, centered it, wrote the headline ("half with pepperoni, half with wonderchicken"). Then I wrote about blogging and pizza, a little ditty about all of us ordering pizza at the same time (is this possible with our varying time zones--heck I like pizza for breakfast) and blogging our virtual pizza party as we munch... Read the comments too. Shelley's in for veggie, Halley wants extra meat. Heh. You know. Stuff like that.

I even laughed out loud as I constructed imaginary email replies.

All without ever dropping a line of it onto paper or a keystroke into the laptop. The process ran start-to-finish all in my head.

Is this at all sane?

Inner Blogging.

Maybe not sane, but it's easier, and cheaper, and sure will do in a pinch.