April 07, 2003

tax basket

Phone ringing off the hook today. Incoming work is looking up. Time will tell.

In the mean time, the bean is on spring break--anyone else trying to work from home this week with their kiddies running about? It reminds me of her first four years, from which we still haven't recovered. How on earth did I do that? How? The things that seem real when you're in the middle of them often don't seem real at all later on.

Who else still hasn't done taxes? Anyone? Oh goodness. It's such a process here with George's business. Can't imagine next year--write off city with two sole proprietors in the joint.

We have a little routine around taxes we've been using for years. We have a BIG basket in the closet. All year long we stuff write-off receipts and documents in it. From toll receipts to dry cleaning receipts to equipment, gear rental, plane tickets, books, movies (yes, I was analyzing the soundtrack), you name it.

I don't look at the stuff all year. January through January is simply "stuff it in the basket" mode. Then in January, I pour the magnificent records of the year into a big huge garbage bag and set the bag on the rocking chair in the bedroom. The basket is empty and we start again.

I leave the bag on the chair until sometime in April. Usually right about the second week. I'm not sure what I think happens in that garbage bag between January and April. I guess I figure things will sort themselves out if I just glance at it once in a while.

George looks at it to, but doesn't know what to do with it. He puts his receipts in the basket all year. He strong-arms our accountant. He negotiates. But I do the cipherin'. Ugh.

That damn bag is still upstaris waiting for me. I guess I better go touch it or something. Psych myself up. Kick it into gear.

Or maybe I'll go read a few blogs instead....