May 09, 2003

102.5 - The Strep Diary Continued

I think I could get a little bit more tired. Under dirt, maybe.

Last night was bad, this morning was bad, still not eating or drinking enough I took Jenna back to the pediatrician. Her fever kept rising instead of falling, her stomach hurting more not less. Medicine change. From Zithromax back to Omnicef. Praying. If she can't keep enough liquids down by tonight, it's off to urgent care tonight for IV rehydration. She's close, but the doc gave me today to try to push the liquids at home, and finally more PHENERGEN suppositories to help her little tummy. She's digging the Vernor's Ginger Ale, but with her fever so high, it's constant pushing of sips. One sip at a time. The great milestone will be whether or not she pees by 6.

It comes down to that. Hoping to see pee. A mom's life.

I had to run to only the second business meeting I've had in a month--which of course would fall in the middle of strep week--and was gone an hour while my sister sat with her. While I was gone, her temperature climbed another degree and a half. I found myself listening to the two men in the meeting, nice enough, professional, likable guys, thinking about how they probably didn't have to go home and convince their kid that this suppository, or "possitory" as Jenna now calls it, is really a good thing. And every piece of paper they showed me had her name written on it--or it looked like a prescription--indecipherable doctor's orders--nothing seemed real. But I got through it. I'm hoping it will all make sense in a couple of days.

so tired.

She's sleeping now. I'm off to rest. That's why no more great writing or breakthroughs or anything else, except to relate that what I see, in her sick circled eyes, her two pounds lost in ONE day, is a little tiny girl who needs me, and that's enough to keep me pushing. Even though I feel pretty much like crap myself. sure do.

Keep sending those healing vibes. We sure can use them. Thanks for listening. Hope to be writing about something other than strep very soon.