December 04, 2008

Losing Joe

There aren't many musicians remaining of both the hardy stock and stubborn attitude required to survive the Rochester/national/international jazz scene from the time my father played it (1950s-60s) through the time my husband played it (1970s-90s).

The more of them we lose, the more loudly the loss resonates. The absence of a player's unique interpretation of sound and space can be deafening.

That's just one of the reasons why it's so hard for artists to live--period.

Joe died December 1st at 76 of lung cancer. My memories of hanging out after the gigs listening to Joe's special brand of humor haven't faded since the 80s. I could say a lot of things about him--about his musicianship, his edge, his, his tenacity. But instead, I'll simply say, so long Joe Romano.