May 30, 2003

stories i've been meaning to tell, part 1.

Jenna's graduation from Pre-K was last week. Right. Already told you. But then there's this.

They're sitting around in their graduation circle during the program, and I notice that one of the boys' brother has joined them there. He's a a year or so older. Striking Arabic profile. Dark hair, carmel skin, and a magnetic personality which he demonstrated by taking every available opportunity to distract his younger brother from his graduation duties. A general cut-up this kid was.

Afterward I asked Jenna if that was her classmate's brother.

I see the look in her eye. The blush. The beaming. "Yes," she says softly.

Oh no, I think. And then I say,

"Well, he is a handsome boy."

She shines the brightest smile I've seen in weeks and blurts out:

"Set up the wedding!!"

And I fall off the bed laughing. I don't mean to. There's no one here with me to help absorb the hilarity--left to my own devices, I crack up silly.

Set up the wedding.

OYE!