August 16, 2003

when the dog bites...

when the bee stings.... when I'm feeling sad....

--------------------------

It was a surprise when I heard her yelp LOUDLY from the side of the pool. Yelp? How about scream bloody murder. Yes, sweet girl got her first bee sting today. So many firsts at five. This was yet another. Having never been stung by a bee (yes, I know, weird) even though I used to catch them with my hands and put them in jars, I didn't know exactly what the right course of action was. Luckily one of the pool dads swooped to our rescue, found the stinger, and pulled it out. Of course, it started to swell with nothing to put on it in sight.

"Tobacco" two people said in unison.

Get one of your cigarettes, soak it in water, and squeeze the juice on it. That's what they advised. Nearly everyone there had their grandpapa use the remedy. Is this a southern thing?

For the first time I was glad I still had some cigarettes. I soaked one and made a paste of ground American Spirit tobacco.

"What's that?" Jenna asked.

"Something for bee stings," I lied.

Sort of lied. Thing is, it worked. Within five minutes she said it wasn't hurting so bad. Within a half hour, besides the lump on the bottom of her foot, you wouldn't know anything had gone awry.

This is your Southern tip of the day.

If you get stung by a bee, throw some chaw on it and carry on.