October 29, 2004

Chuck-e-Cheese Shoe Analysis: A Historic and Demographic Study

I'm always amazed by the way my baby thinks. She's seven now, and her mind is exploding in her new school, which is good. She's challenged. Some stuff is finally "too hard," she says. I say good. It's about time.

We were talking today about how we went to Chuck-E-Cheese last Halloween to avoid the neighborhood hubub and have relative fun at a relatively safe place. She admitted to having a good time, but remarked that there weren't enoug kids for her to play with that night.

I objected. "Jenna, you made a few friends that night if I remember right."

"Well there were a couple. I knew there would be because of the shoes."

A stumped mom stared at her. "The shoes?"

She then explained to me the very logical -- if previously secret -- process she uses to determine the likeliness of friend finding on any given evening at Chuck-E-Cheese.

"I just look at the shoes. You know, the shoes we take off before we climb up into the tunnel. I always sit there and look through the shoes while I'm taking mine off. I can tell how many boys are up in the tunnel and how many girls, and I can tell about how old they are--if they're big kids or little kids. That's how I tell if I want to climb up in the tunnel and if I'll probably make a friend or not."

I remain dumbfounded. Even as of 10:45 this evening.

She's data mining from the shoe bin.