February 02, 2006

observations

I'm not keeping up. Too many freyed edges in too many weakened strands. Not the only one, I know. My introject is at the ready. "It's Web 2.0; suck it up bucko, we may never pass this way again."
 
Which reminds me that a friend handed us a children's CD the other night as we walked out to our cars together. Jenna loves any manner of cd/dvd/gameboy/nintendog/consumable, so she begged me to put it in as soon as we started the car. It's the Bath and Body Works feel good cd with children singing fun songs. One of the songs is Puff the Magic Dragon.
 
Now listen, I didn't fall off a turnip truck yesterday, quite, and if I did, I didn't bang my head too hard, and if I did, I wouldn't tell you. Of course I have heard the legend that the song was REALLY about weed and puff was more of a puff than a Puff. It's not like I'd never HEARD the song before.
 
Until I realized I really had never listened to the song before. It's that simple. One of those songs that I'd heard for so many years I never bothered to hear it.
 
And there in the car the sweetest innocent voice of a boy about 7 or so sang the song with a simple instrumental behind him, and for the first time I listened to the song, saw the illusion slink away--not fade, but slink, disheartened. I understood that magic doesn't exist without the magician, that our creations have feelings too. Who knew immagination could see us. I never thought of how disappointing it was for ideas not to ever be had. I always thought I was the one doing the work in the imagining. To think, all this time imagination is waiting for us.
 
When the boy singing got to the part about puff's scales falling like rain, there I was driving along, glad for the night, with tears streaming down my cheeks, wondering how in the hell did I miss THIS song the first 305 times around, or maybe I didn't.
 
Maybe the song missed me.
 
PUFF, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee,
Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal PUFF,
and brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff.
 
OH PUFF, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee,
PUFF, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee,
 
Together they would travel on a boat with billowed sail
Jackie kept a lookout perched on PUFF's gigantic tail,
Noble kings and princes would bow whenever they came,
Pirate ships would lower their flag when PUFF roared out his name
 
OH, PUFF, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee,
PUFF, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee,
 
A dragon lives forever but not so little boys
Painted wings and giant rings make way for other toys.
One grey night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more
And PUFF that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.
 
PUFF, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee,
PUFF, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee,
 
His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain,
PUFF no longer went to play along the cherry lane.
Without his life-long friend, PUFF could not be brave,
So PUFF that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave.
 
Oh! PUFF, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee,
PUFF, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee
 
Technorati Tags :  // Powered By Qumana