March 09, 2003

cats are really good at killing snakes, and other nature discussions

I have more dead baby (and sometimes bigger) snakes in our driveway at this house than in any other place I've lived. Where do these things come from? I know where they go to--the cats. Cats seem mesmerized by snakes. They'll play with them for hours. Sometimes the snake will still have enough energy enough to slither away when the cats lie down to take a rest. But mostly, the cats bother the snake to death.

It's really kind of gross.

One evening I was on the phone with a blogger friend. A damn armidillo comes walking up my neighbor's lawn--do we have those here? I swear it looked like armor on it, not like your run of the mill opossum. Then five seconds later an owl comes swooping by me headed for the neighbor's house. I say, "What is this, Mutual of Fucking Omaha?" (old people will remember--do they still have Wild Kingdom on?)

Anyway, it's been like that around here lately. Some kind of bottom up revolt happening on the part of the belly crawlers and other predators.

the answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind...