March 07, 2006

Acer Almost Erasure!

Acer makes the best laptop in the world. I knew that before today, because I LOVE my Acer, which Sheila Lennon hipped me to a couple of years ago.

That's why today, when I was standing at the top of the stairs ready to dash down the steps to a meeting, I was, well, uh, FUCKING HORRIFIED when the strap broke on my carry bag and I watched (should I say heard? smelled? are there enough senses to describe this?) my laptop tumble end to end down the wooden steps.

Me at the top.

Helpless.

Slomo--NOOOOO!

Kaboom she went onto the landing. Inside the bag. With the strap attached at one end, and coiled loose at the other a long way from where it once HUNG ONTO MY FUCKING SHOULDER. I hate you dumb canvas bag. I should have never trusted you with her. She's better than you.

Initial thoughts: Not now. Not in the middle of an annual report. Not right before SXSW. Not NOW. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I clomped down the stairs in my heels (which I don't wear enough to actually walk like a human being in) and picked it up, flew to the counter, opened the bag--okay, cd drive sticking out--OH MY look at all of these crumbs. CRUMBS. Years of snacks shook loose by the blow. I brushed them off. Hugged her. Held my breath.

I pressed the power button.

She booted right up.

SHE BOOTED RIGHT UP!!!

As far as I can tell, the only casualty is the CD drive--it won't stay shut anymore. Man, I hope that's all. It did something weird when I started it up an hour ago... looking for a hardware device. Maybe that's something to do with the CD drive being hosed.

I dunno.

All's well that ends with a post.

Wshew.

Sort of.

We'll see.


Tags: , , , = Powered by Qumana