May 23, 2008

Perhaps You Should Examine Your Colon!

Okay. Look. I can't take it anymore.

How many times in the last 7 years have we been through the women-free TOP LISTS OF BLOGGING. Or the penis-only MOST IMPORTANT CONFERENCE IN TECHNOLOGY events?

How many men (and women!) have come before these idiots to say -- "Whoops! Sloppy reporting - I didn't realize I had all men in my aggregator - what boring shmuck I am."

The reason I'm bothering to even point to this article is because it's The Fucking Industry Standard (which I thought died during web 1.0 -- must have been resuscitated into beta form--look mom i died and went to beta) and it's an article SPECIFICALLY dedicated to finding the TOP NON-A-LIST blogs worth reading. 25 of them to be exact.

And not one of them a woman's blog.

I can think of at least 20 instances like this in my short memory. The boys at The Industry STANDARD might have happened upon some of these if they didn't take the lazy way out or decide to stay put in the typical circle jerk of links feeding the echo chamber.

My own unfucking of Stowe Boyd comes to mind. O'Reilly, not a renowned women's advocate in his own right, even published a list of important articles by and about women in tech to help educate the doofus brigade.

There's Shelley on progress - and no woman in blogging has taken more grief for raising this issue than Shelley; and there's her pointer to Karl on speaker diversity and why it matters.

(It's all related @richi, trust me).

And there's always the lazy way to get some legs on your aggregator, boys. Just go look at the hundreds of women-penned tech+ blogs listed on Blogher. Don't like Tech? There are other categories. Whatdoyaknow!

It's like each year a new crop of idiots blooms on the net.
breathe in with me now....
aaaah the fresh scent of stupid.

Somewhere, some time ago, I remember reading a post -- whose was it, I forget? -- where a woman said: It is Not My Job to do your job, you sloppy reporter, and find some diversity that might make your next Top X List or Conference a bit more interesting.

That's how I feel. Just do your job.

But before I go unwrap the duct tape from around my head, let me address a couple of the commenters over at TIS (that's what we called it before it died and went to beta).

Now besides the author @Richi's lame response: "Hey I don't discriminate and I don't Reverse Discriminate either--LOOKIE ME!" (okay I'm summarizing), old JohnMc had a great addition to the conversation:
"jeneane, In a world of opportunity, crank up a blog and give it your best shot. Competition and voices is what keeps the soup hot."
.
.
.

REALLY John?

WOW what an IDEA!

Starting my own blog is such a good idea I thought of it back in 2001!

"competition and voices is what keeps the soup hot."

Oh. My. God. The Twitolution will most certainly be televised.

But the thing that really irked me was the comment from the person who was probably trying to be nice--hard to tell. Eric Hill said: "Perhaps one should consider a "Top 25 up-and-coming female bloggers" report. Just a thought."

Actually Eric, no.

No that's not quite it.

NO that's pretty much not quite the point at all.

Nice idea on it's own, but perhaps someone should consider a "Top 25 up-and-coming gardening blogs." That's not what we're talking about here.

WE ARE NOT UP AND COMING

WE ARE HERE

WE WERE HERE BEFORE YOU

WE ARE STILL HERE

Oh lord.

Stop me.

Really, you have to stop me now.

love you all.

well, not exactly "all."

goodnight.