November 08, 2006

i'll be broke by sunup

Five years ago I said that google should make like the phone book and charge people NOT to be listed. (okay December 11, 2001 I said that to be exact).

"I wonder how long it will be before search engines start to offer a paid service for NOT listing specific search results... Say you posted something rather explicit on an offbeat site, or posted an online rant about your boss or mother-in-law, later to learn that Google has outed you... Would you pay to be "unlisted," like some folks do with that old hard-copy behemoth known as the white pages? It's a thought. Maybe an odd one. We'll see."

I remember thinking this because some of us do bad things or are bad people, or maybe good people who write dumb things or put stupid pictures online we wish we hadn't.

Now, I'm not talkin' 'bout me, mind you.

That other guy. You know the one. Lookie that way. Nothing to see here.

Of course, now I would say that wiping someone's slate clean is certainly not the job of a search-co because it compromises trust in service. Instead, that should be the job of a web2.0 startup looking for oodles of cash and an acquisition down the road.  I'm just sayin... smartie pants alright.


Tags: , , , , , , , , = Powered by Qumana