March 28, 2004

"What is Journalism? And What Can Weblogs Do About It?" = Jay Rosen

Jay Rosen's panel at bloggercon looks very cool. There, I said it. See? I can say nice things about Bloggercon. Well, one nice thing anyhow.

I added some thoughts in Jay's comments as have some hard thinking folks.

I'm not sure I made sense in Jay's comments, what with it being 11:08, Jenna being sick, and me being fully medicated for bedtime.

So, the cliff notes version of what I said is:

Blogging isn't journalism -- and shouldn't much care about journalism -- because it's blogging.

Wshew. That was a lot easier to type than what I said in Jay's comment box.

The same things that make blogging different from other kinds of writing make blogging differentt from journalistic form and function: The thread from me to you to him to her.

So I ended by saying it this way: In blogging, the reader (not the writer/reporter) is the journalist--the one responsible for drawing from any number of sources to inform, and ultimately form, his or her own story.

Even better, if the reader is a blogger, then the reader helps write the story, with a post, links, comments, trackbacks --whatever--of his or her own.

wow. I'm almost excited about bloggiing again. It's been a month. Nothin's moved me. But maybe there's hope.

Something about conversation, many ends, and things joined loosely.