March 07, 2003

George Calls for a Music-Out

George Sessum knows the insanity of the music business first hand. I know it second hand. Everyone, clap your hands. Okay now stop. Listen. Shhhh. Nothing.

That's how it's going to sound on Broadway tonight, as the pit orchestras go on strike. George tells us in this post that threats to cut broadway ensembles from 25 to 7 weren't warmly received by broadway musicians, a rare subset of working musicians who can eek out a decent living.

SEVEN? Wooo. I'd like to see that performance. My school musicals had larger pit bands.

So tonight the Broadway musicians strike--and as George says, this is a risky proposition: "We can be replaced now more than ever by machines. Don't think producers won't figure out a way to have canned music for Broadway. They did this in Vegas..."

Instead, he suggests another solution:

Maybe there should be a musicless week and I mean:

NO Radio
NO MTV
NO Live Music ANYwhere
NO Pre-Recorded Music of any kind

Computer generated midi music [no samples] is allowed because it doesn't have a heartbeat. I guarantee total insanity and chaos within 48hours.


Hey, I'm in.