September 16, 2003

I've always wanted to see Alaska

In a former life, if I believed such things, which I don't think I do, I do think I was a bat. Cold, dark is a favorite climate for me. The bigger and heavier the comforter I can cuddle under, the better I feel.

Note that this summer I did the anti-bat thing: sun and swimming.

I was so darn proud to go beyond my little comfort zone (better known as the front door) with all of this outside activity.

But truth be told, when I reach inside, when go looking for home, it's dark, it's cool, and when the sun comes you can smell the forrest with it, the ice with it, the snow with it, the wet hard beaches of Lake Ontario where I grew up.

No surprise then that I've always wanted to see Alaska. I used to say to George, man! I'd love to take one of those Alaskan cruises. West Indian roots shuddering at the thought, he would say, "Why? I mean, I know it's beautiful and I wouldn't mind seeing it, but a cruise to Alaska? How about some place a little warmer?"

I think there was two feet of Rochester snow on the ground when I suggested it.

And so that's where Doc and the Linux bunch are, and I swear I could look at those two pictures on Doc's blog all night long.

I'm going to hang upside down from a limb now.