June 14, 2004

No, it's not okay.

It's not okay for 3,000 weblogs to revert to a post by the software vendor one day without warning.

I assume from the comments of weblogs.com bloggers--which have an edict from on high to be positive only--this came as a shock to them. I wonder when we'll know. I guess sometime in July when Dave decides to give them their blogs back.

So many are thanking Dave for the years of free hosting in their comments. I wonder how many comments he's deleted that were less self-deprecating.

If blogger/blogspot did this to George's hosted-for-free blog or Jenna's hosted-for-free blog without warning, without a thoughtful, non-condescending message on why and what's next, I assure you I would be throwing a fit the size of Massachusetts, or maybe Texas. I certainly wouldn't be saying, Thanks.

Shelley, who has hosted the blogs of many nomads in her day, has an interesting perspective on Dave's latest.

It will be interesting to see what the affected bloggers say if and when they return.