March 27, 2003

dr again...

Well, we're taking Jenna to the docs again tomorrow--one we saw from some time back whom we liked. The two in between--not so great. Our family doctor is a good coverage guy but not an over-time problem solver. This is the pediatrician she's gone to who seemed to really connect with her. Wish us luck.

She's has had "that look" as you know, and today I greeted a blister on her tonsil, yellow, you know. Circles under the eyes. Hoping it's not strep for the THIRD time in a row, but more concerned that she's lost weight, not looking right. As a mom, I know something's off. And I'm not the kind who feels this often about her--usually I say, she's a Sessum--she'll be fine, because all of the children on George's side are rough and tumble tree climbing far falling kids. Sturdy stock. Not sickly, not to the drs much. She was pretty much the same way, give or take her asthma (which I have too), until a few months ago. Before the winter from Hell.

Send good thoughts. And also, the advice from electricliz about the mouthwash was tremendous. George got some last week for her. Now we do it twice a day--she swishes and rinses. I dillute it with a little water for her, so it's not so strong on her gums. It is STRONG mint though. Jenna first swished it and said, "This tastes like hypermint!" I was like "Hypermint? That is just what it tastes like. Cool word." She's already a branding pro like her mom.

I think the anticeptic mouthwash has helped beat back this round of whatever throat and related crud she has, because it's looking pretty much the same, not remarkably worse, and she hasn't had a fever this time.

If I could only get her to take chewable vitamins. We've tried Chucky and Barbie and Scooby. She hates all of them. Yesterday she says, "Mom, let me help you with the garbage bag--I can crush it just like Daddy!" And I see her looking guilty, you know. I look on the table, no vitamin. I watch her mouth, no chewing. I say, "Jenna, did you just slip your vitamin in the garbage?" She shakes her head no, but by the time she gets back to the table it tumbles out: "Well, OKAY. I did," she says smiling like an innocent angel. "Don't throw away your vitamin," I try. "You have to take it. It makes you feel better." And the usual reply: "But I HATE it!"

So we are off to use the good insurance while we have it and try to get to the bottom of this bug, germ, infestation or whatever it is.

Send good thoughts, and thank you.