March 27, 2003

well, it's not really a layoff...

...because technically they didn't want me to go. They also made me an offer I couldn't not refuse. And so I feel like this:



This spiffy graphic comes from this article. While I relate to some of what the article says, I'll tell you this: as a telecommuter, job separation is a piece of cake. The stress issues don't come from a change in routine, because you're home, on the computer, and that *is* your routine. Unfortunately, I think that makes the jump to focusing on the hard financial realities that much quicker.

Since I'm already working for two clients, I'm doing the same thing I've always done. So far I haven't even had to go out and hard sell. Word of mouth is working. For now anyway.

So I guess I'm saying, to avoid the stress of layoffs, start telecommuting. It quickly disolves any illusion you have that your company is your family.

Which helps when they cut your nuts off.

sleep tight!

-the manglement