June 27, 2007

where did all the lifeguards go?

I have noticed in having to find outside pools to join since there isn't one in our neighborhood, that there is a trend to NOT have lifeguards in order to save money. It's all 'swim at your own risk' these days, and I don't like it. I think it's dumb. What's one kid scooped off the bottom of the pool worth--an extra $100 or $200 a summer? Yeah, I think so. Not to mention, lifeguards are the enforcers of "Adult Swim," the most important part of the adult-child summer agreement.

The pool we joined doesn't have a lifeguard this year--I am glad Jenna is a good swimmer and I try to remain 'all eyes.' But that is never possible as a human being and not a super hero.

We never swim alone there. Still, if they gave us the option, I would have found some extra lifeguard cash someplace. It just makes sense. Kids + Water = Lifeguards.

Atlanta is the land of cutting corners.

The pool we joined three years ago--I went back yesterday to see if they had lifeguards. I was thinking of switching to that pool. But they got rid of them too. The man I talked to said the members voted not to because it would have increased the cost of memberships. How selfish.

People. You can't live with em, you can't drown em.



---