December 23, 2005

Building Bridges

One thing about Web 1.0: I didn't mind that my personal stash of content -- data, images, video, sounds, writing, what have you -- was spread all about the net. You know me: The poster child for early adoption. When Flickr was a random experience of chat+images on steroids, I was in love. Orkut? there. Linked in? there. Friendster? there. Blogger? there. Wordpress? there.

In essence, I'm a little bit everywhere, and a lot some places.

As a result, whether we call this Web 2.0 or not, pieces of me, of things I've previously created, are scattered in places I can't even remember. In some places, like on blogspot, I have what Doc calls a legacy. Similar to Doc's 5,300 photos on Flickr (Doc, we're all coming swimming this summer), I have 3,000 posts on blogspot. I've wanted an easy way to get them out and turn them into other things since 2002.

In the words of the illustrious RageBoy: Been There; Still There.

That's the thing about being able to get out what you put in.

And in land of 'vice-versa,' Doc has a great idea for a universal uploader that would make it easy to upload batch content -- in this case photos -- to wherever and whatever service you want.

So then, it's the issue of portability, my desire to take my little suitcase (okay big one) full of content -- and if you hate that word, you're not the only one, so we can call it stuff if you like -- and unpack it in various spots online.

Maybe we stay for a while and leave. Maybe we build a legacy there. Whether to build a home for us, or a vacation spot, or an flea-bitten hotel--that's up to those who develop the software, services and platforms we come to love, or come to leave -- or come to and go from as we please.

And what about building bridges between these places? Like Doc's universal uploader -- we need content movers, like those airport people movers, the ones that carry your load without you having to drag it along a step at a time.

The longer we're here, the larger our legacies. It would be nice to be able to shuffle them around while we're still around to shuffle.

...

1 comments:

Nik Cubrilovic said...

I can't reach Doc's weblog but in regards to the concept of 'online suticase' I would like to drop a mention of Omnidrive:

http://www.omnidrive.com.au

out hosted storage solution. Omnidrive provides native operating system interfaces to your hosted storage, as well as a web version. What this means is you can drag+drop files to the web from a folder on your desktop, on Windows, Mac, Pocket PC or browser.

More to your point, Omnidrive can be extended by developers with plugins so that your data from other sources can be copied down to your online storage (and thus be avaliable on your desktop). Currently we are testing a plugin we have developed ourselves where I can enter my Flickr account details and it will pull the information down. It is working well and we will support other services out-of-the-box.

The problem with some services is that they do not provide an API, or any way for another service to access/export your data.

I believe that publishing a web service is paramount to being clasified as a web 2.0 application, and that the web evolution we now speak of is all about how services can talk to each other:

http://www.nik.com.au/archives/2005/10/26/what-web-20-means-for-business/